Tuesday 20 December 2011

A very tired Mummy and energetic kids!!!

I don't know what was wrong with me last week but I was pooped! And the kids wanted adventure!!! But we settled for a week of home activities.

I continued my plan of breakfast experiments. I made a really yummy Baked oatmeal with bananas and strawberries. I found this yummy recipe at $5 dinners, in fact most of breakfast recipe come from there and they have all been great! She used rhubarb, but I decided to use bananas instead. I have included a copy of the recipe:


Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal

Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
Ingredients
• about 2 bananas
• about 3 cups diced strawberries
• 2 large eggs
• 1/4 cup applesauce
• 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1 1/2 cups milk
• 3 cups quick cooking oats
• 1/2 cup wheat flour
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp salt
• 1/4 – 1/2 cup brown sugar, for sprinkling
Directions
• Preheat the oven to 350. Spray a 9×13 baking dish.
• Toss the banana and strawberries in the baking dish.
• In a mixing bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients, except the brown sugar. Pour the batter over top of the fruit and stir gently to combine the fruit.
• Sprinkle the brown sugar over the top.
• Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean in the middle.
• Serve Strawberry banana Baked Oatmeal with milk, cream, yogurt (or even with ice cream as a dessert!).

We added vanilla yoghurt and maple syrup!


I also used her cinnamon roll recipe and it is the best I have tried, check it out at $5 dinners.
These were so easy, and the best dough I have ever made! But I have to confess I wasn't organised enough to make them for breakfast so we had them for lunch, really good.

Adele saw the second lump of dough and asked if we could make pizza scrolls, so we did. We added pizza sauce, ham, pineapple and cheese. These turned out delicious too. We had a savoury scroll and then a dessert scroll for lunch :)

We love to cook in this house and the kids are always getting involved. This week we made the scrolls together, as well as pizzas, chocolate gingerbread cookies and raspberry pancakes.
















The kids continue to be great helpers around the home. Damon and Adele have now mastered washing up, and they each have a room each to keep an eye on. Adele has the toilet and Damon the bathroom. I am really thankful for their helpfulness.




Here are some pictures of what the kids have got up to this week:










The highlight of the kids week was breakfast with Santa. Now I don't usually make such a fuss about Santa but they had an invitation and I thought it would be fun. So we headed into the local shopping centre where the kids were entertained by dancers telling a Christmas story. They saw Santa and had a nice breakfast with their elf hats on. And they all received a bag of goodies to take home.









I was quite impressed by the entertainment, I hadn't expected such a performance!

Damon has continued on with his computer projects. Lasr week he was fascinated by penguins and other animals from the icy regions of the world. He also took time off to teach both Adele and Avril how to create their own power point presentations. I love watching them encourage each other.




We did head out one other time last week with a friend to play in a small park. The kids enjoyed getting out as we had spent so much time inside because it has been raining so much.






We decided to trial Josef in Avril's bed last week. The first night he went back in his bed after many times up and down. On the second night I closed the door :). And he got up checked the door, then went back to bed and fell asleep. That was a good night. But I have decided to keep him in his cot a little while longer.



Josef also got a chance to sleep in a cubby with Damon last week. They built a cubby out of chairs and sheets. And to my amazement actually fell asleep in there...well until 2am when Josef woke up and freaked out about where he was!



Carrying on with the theme of cubbies...the kids decided that a movie night was in order. So we made hotdogs and they sat in a cubby for dinner, watching their movie.


Overall a busy week but thankfully mostly at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment