My first experience of pumpkin pie was when I was a child. But I have noticed that when Pumpkin pie is mentioned as a delicious dessert to those who have never experienced this delight, their faces screw up! I challenge you! If you have never tried the delights of pumpkin pie for dessert, give it a go!
Here are the recipes I cooked for the kids:
Pumpkin Pancakes from The Whole Nutrition Kitchen.
And Pumpkin Pie from Against all Grain
Just in case you want the one I grew up with, then here it is..
PUMPKIN PIE (as I knew it!)
3 eggs, separated
450g fresh pumpkin (cooked and pureed)
225ml evaporated milk
1 level tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 level tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 level tsp ground ginger
1/4 level tsp salt
To Serve: Cream
1) Roll out the pastry and line a 23cm round pie dish.
2) Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form.
3) In another bowl, using some beaters lightly beat egg yolks, pumpkin (cooked and pureed), evaporated milk, sugar, spices and salt until blended.
4) Gently fold the whisked egg whites into the pumpkin mixture with a wire whisk.
5) Place the pie dish on an oven shelf and pour in the pumpkin mixture.
6) Bake at 190C (375F) for 45 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean. Serve hot with cream.