Thursday 21 March 2013

Autumn!!! A time to enjoy pumpkins!!

Part of out gluten free journey has included the use of pumpkins. And much to my delight and surprise my children loved the creations I made! I never would have thought that we would eat pumpkin pancakes for breakfast and that the kids would be lining up for seconds! And I am delighted that the kids are sharing my like of pumpkin pie.

My first experience of pumpkin pie was when I was a child. But I have noticed that when Pumpkin pie is mentioned as a delicious dessert to those who have never experienced this delight, their faces screw up! I challenge you! If you have never tried the delights of pumpkin pie for dessert, give it a go!

Here are the recipes I cooked for the kids:


Pumpkin Pancakes from The Whole Nutrition Kitchen.



And Pumpkin Pie from Against all Grain

_MG_3908

Just in case you want the one I grew up with, then here it is..

PUMPKIN PIE (as I knew it!)


shortcrust pastry
3 eggs, separated
450g fresh pumpkin (cooked and pureed)
225ml evaporated milk
225g sugar
1 level tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 level tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 level tsp ground ginger
1/4 level tsp salt

To Serve: Cream

1) Roll out the pastry and line a 23cm round pie dish.
2) Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form.
3) In another bowl, using some beaters lightly beat egg yolks, pumpkin (cooked and pureed), evaporated milk, sugar, spices and salt until blended.
4) Gently fold the whisked egg whites into the pumpkin mixture with a wire whisk.
5) Place the pie dish on an oven shelf and pour in the pumpkin mixture.
6) Bake at 190C (375F) for 45 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean. Serve hot with cream.


1 comment:

  1. My Mum makes Pumpkin Pie, and it is delicious. She serves her version with a thick layer of cream on the top like icing :)Yum

    ReplyDelete